Full Day Excursion to Nisyros
Discover the beauty of the volcanic island of Nisyros
Nisyros is a unique volcanic island in the southeast Aegean Sea, with rich and extremely diverse flora and fauna. In the –active- volcano area there is one of the best-preserved craters in the world. Legend has it that Nisyros was initially part of Kos and was separated from it after the war of the giant Polyvotis and God Poseidon.
Nisyros, with its traditional villages and very friendly people, welcomes the visitors who come to walk to the monastery of “Panagia Spiliani” in Mandraki, the capital of the island and of course those who would like to visit the volcano and its 260m in diameter and 30m deep crater Stefano.
Arriving at Nisyros follows the trip by bus from the harbour to the volcano and then on foot to the crater where steam escapes from ‘blow holes’ and also where mud bubbles away beneath the surface. The sulphur crystals make for an interesting display and it is possible to even stand over the top of a Geo-Thermal spring and hear the water forcefully flowing below you. The bus transportation from the harbour to the volcano depends on the bus schedule. On the way back and at the altitude of 50m is the monastery of “the Virgin Mary of the Cave”, with a superb view to the east side of the island. The visit to Nisyros will finish with an optional lunch in one of the traditional taverns and a walk in the village of Mandraki.
Terms & Conditions
41.00 / per person - 20.50 / per child (5-12 yrs old)
Duration: Full Day
Area: Nisyros Island
Points of interest: Nisyros volcano, “the Virgin Mary of the Cave” monastery, Mandraki
Starting point: Your Accommodation
Escort: Professional guide
Meals: Not included
The Full Day Excursion to Nisyros by S Tours Itinerary
- 08:30 Departure from Kos port or Kardamena harbour
- Visit to the volcano and crater Stefano and the Geo-Thermal spring
- Visit at the monastery of “the Virgin Mary of the Cave”
- Optional lunch in one of the traditional taverns and a walk in the village of Mandraki
- The departure from Kos Island is at 08:30 and the trip lasts about two hours, when departing from Kos harbour and one hour when departing from Kardamena harbour.
- The bus transportation from the harbour to the volcano depends on the bus schedule.
- A/C coach transfer from and to your hotel
Transportation from and to the volcano in Nisyros
Entrance fee to the volcano
Bring with you: Comfortable clothing and shoes, shoulders / knees cover for when visiting religious sites, hat, sunglasses and sun cream.
The price includes: